Thursday, February 19, 2009

In the Sinkhole


Per my usual routine I left the apartment at 6:15 but was shocked to be greeted with a traffic jam on Hancock Road. Usually there's hardly a car in sight when I leave for work. When I got to the first stoplight I was detoured right by a traffic control officer. So much for going west toward work. I busted an illegal U-turn and made it to work just slightly later than my usual 6:30 start time.

When I crossed the 215 I noticed there wasn't any traffic. Something was amiss. Turns out there was a huge sinkhole that closed all the north and south bound lanes and they decided it was a good idea to detour all the traffic past our apartment. I feel so lucky. Nothing like even longer traffic jams in SoCal. If only I had a street bike today, splitting lanes up to stoplights would have saved me 15 minutes in a commute that should only take 8 minutes! On the way home I went 4 miles in 23 minutes. That's not ideal gas mileage in the old Ford.

No comments: