Wednesday, April 15, 2009

LOST: $9.99 Frisbee

After cutting out of work early to spend time with Tracy and her brother and mom on Monday, we headed over to Laguna Beach to enjoy the sunny skies, high 70s and the ocean. On our way, we purchased a sweet 175-gram Ultimate Frisbee disc. I had to go for the heaviest on the shelf, knowing how much ocean breezes can impact flight.

After an hour or so of discing with Tim and a little break, we decided to move down the beach to a better tossing location. This was a bad idea. Waves were at high tide and literally breaking at the 9 foot mark. Now, Tim blames me, and I blame him for what happened next. But, in reality, we are both partly to blame and the ocean takes most of the fault. Tim bombed the disc over my head and everybody knows how slow I run. Right as I started to make my break for the disc, a huge wave came crashing in. I normally look like I'm running in slow motion, but this was freeze frame. I missed the disc by a few feet and my two-inch vertical didn't help matters. Next thing I know the disc is rapidly getting sucked back into the great blue abyss. After 20 minutes scanning the massive waves hoping it would wash up, we finally gave up hope. It's probably floating along next to Wilson out there somewhere.

We got about 200 tosses in, so it was like throwing a nickel back and forth for an hour. You could say we really didn't get our monies worth on that one!

No comments: