Thursday, April 16, 2009

Minnesota, Ohio and California Oh My!

I guess I really shouldn't wait to file my taxes the evening of the deadline. Especially when I had to file in three separate states along with one federal return.

The good news is I was at least organized enough to have all of the necessary tax documents in the same location. The bad news is it took me more than two hours to file so big brother could keep tabs on me.

I started with federal and was OK with the $29.95 Turbo Tax fee. I'm used to that one. Next, I started on Minnesota and learned there was another $39.95 charge to e-File for state taxes. I figured it was an unlimited amount of states for one charge. Boy was I wrong.

After finishing up Minnesota, I moved on to Ohio. It was weird that I had to file in Ohio because I was kind of a vagrant there for six months. I never had a permanent residence and lived in a couple of cities moving from the hotel to apartment. That, and my pay stubs were going to my Minnesota address. Confusing nonetheless, but I guess I did live there so it was accurate. As soon as I was wrapping up Ohio, I learned Turbo Tax was hitting me up for another $39.95. Damn, I was thinking, this a fricken racket and Turbo Tax is the king of racketeering.

At this point I knew Turbo Tax would be digging in to my pants pocket again and bringing out more than lent when I filed for California. You guessed it, another $39.95 for three months in California. Turbo Tax was like my adopted kid from abroad for the year. For just 54 cents a day, you too could have a Turbo Tax to call all your own. It's only the cost of a cup of coffee. Yeah, it cost me $199 to file four returns last night. Not to mention there was a sales tax charge on filing my taxes. That just doesn't seem right.

Fortunately, I planned pretty well for my taxes and I don't have to pay in for any of the four returns. In fact, I broke exactly even for Minnesota. I didn't even know that was possible.

THE BEST NEWS IS: That lost frisbee sort of turned up. Tim surprised me yesterday when I met Tracy, Tim and Laura for lunch with an identical frisbee. Man was I happy. As a side note, Wal-Mart is better than Target for some stuff. Wal-Mart's price on the same frisbee: $8.98.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shoulda gone with TaxACT, it was only $14.95 for the first state and $9.95 for any additional states.

Vebe Visual said...

Yeah ... heard about that. Good thing about Turbo Tax was they had all my previous year's tax info. And, on a long form, that adds up.